Easiest Way to Prepare Homemade French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup. Tyler Florence's French Onion Soup recipe, topped with nutty Gruyere croutons and stuffed with caramelized onions, is the ultimate in cozy French bistro fare. Most French onion soup recipes call for beef stock, but substituting mushroom broth instead creates a surprisingly rich soup, full on flavor – without the meat. Could become a staple recipe in vegetarian or meat-loving households!
French onion soup gets its rich flavor and color from the cooking of the onions. While they simmer, the flavors become intense, making this soup a savory delight. French onion soup is a perfect comfort-food dinner, served with a side of bread for dipping and topped with a decadent layer of cheese.
Hello everybody, hope you are having an incredible day today. Today, I will show you a way to make a special dish, french onion soup. It is one of my favorites food recipes. This time, I will make it a bit unique. This will be really delicious.
French Onion Soup is one of the most well liked of current trending foods on earth. It’s appreciated by millions every day. It’s easy, it’s quick, it tastes delicious. French Onion Soup is something that I have loved my whole life. They are nice and they look wonderful.
Tyler Florence's French Onion Soup recipe, topped with nutty Gruyere croutons and stuffed with caramelized onions, is the ultimate in cozy French bistro fare. Most French onion soup recipes call for beef stock, but substituting mushroom broth instead creates a surprisingly rich soup, full on flavor – without the meat. Could become a staple recipe in vegetarian or meat-loving households!
To get started with this recipe, we have to first prepare a few components. You can have french onion soup using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you can achieve it.
The ingredients needed to make French Onion Soup:
- Take 1/2 cup of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 4 of onions, sliced.
- Take 2 of garlic cloves, chopped.
- Take 2 of bay leaves.
- Take 2 of fresh thyme sprigs.
- Prepare of Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1 cup of red wine, about 1/2 bottle.
- Get 3 of heaping Tbsp all-purpose flour.
- Make ready 2 quarts of beef broth.
- Make ready 1 of baguette, sliced.
- Take 1/2 pound of grated Gruyere.
Ladle soup into oven safe serving bowls and place one slice of bread on top of each (bread may be broken into pieces if you prefer). French onion soup feeds the soul on a cold day, and now you can enjoy it at the best restaurant on the block: your place. Our classic recipe turns a lazy Sunday into a long-simmering affair. Set yourself up for maximum coziness and serve it bubbling hot.
Steps to make French Onion Soup:
- Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and salt and pepper and cook until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Add the wine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated and the onions are dry, about 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs..
- Dust the onions with the flour and give them a stir. Turn the heat down to medium low so the flour doesn't burn, and cook for 10 minutes..
- When you're ready to eat, preheat the broiler. Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle the slices with the Gruyere and broil until bubbly and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes..
- Ladle the soup in bowls and float several of the Gruyere croutons on top..
- Alternative method: Ladle the soup into bowls, top each with 2 slices of bread and top with cheese. Put the bowls into the oven to toast the bread and melt the cheese..
Season the soup with pepper and Cognac, if using. Place the toast rounds, toasted side down, on top of the soup and top with the cheese. Melt butter in a heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Remove lid and let onions caramelize until golden brown over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Adjust heat if onions are browning too quickly.
So that’s going to wrap it up for this exceptional food french onion soup recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I’m sure you will make this at home. There is gonna be interesting food in home recipes coming up. Remember to save this page on your browser, and share it to your family, friends and colleague. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!