Baked Shepherd's Pie. In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb.
I'm not sure where it came from, but I know there are many variations. Most recipes for any Shepherd's Pie say use beef or lamb. That said, I made this version because it was fast and easy and I didn't have time for a more complicated recipe.
Hey everyone, it is Jim, welcome to our recipe site. Today, I will show you a way to make a special dish, baked shepherd's pie. One of my favorites. This time, I am going to make it a bit unique. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
Baked Shepherd's Pie is one of the most favored of recent trending meals in the world. It’s easy, it is fast, it tastes yummy. It’s appreciated by millions every day. They’re fine and they look wonderful. Baked Shepherd's Pie is something which I have loved my entire life.
In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb.
To begin with this particular recipe, we must prepare a few components. You can have baked shepherd's pie using 11 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
The ingredients needed to make Baked Shepherd's Pie:
- Take 500 grams of Potatoes.
- Get 150 grams of Ground beef and pork mix.
- Prepare 1/2 medium of sized Onion.
- Prepare 70 ml of Milk.
- Get 30 grams of Easy melting cheese.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Make ready 1/2 tsp of Soy sauce.
- Make ready 1 dash of Pepper.
- Get 1 dash of Nutmeg.
- Prepare 1 of Salt and pepper (For the mashed potatoes).
- Get 1 of Whisked eggs (This helps to brown the recipe more easily; optional).
Drain, reserving some of the cooking liquid. Mash potatoes with a little of the cooking liquid. In a large skillet, cook ground beef until brown over medium-high heat. Stir in mushrooms, mixed vegetables, mushroom soup, celery soup, and salt and pepper; heat through.
Steps to make Baked Shepherd's Pie:
- Peel the potatoes, cut into fourths, and boil..
- Finely chop the onions, and sauté in a pan coated with vegetable oil (not listed, about 1 teaspoon) until they become transparent..
- Add the ground meat, cook until it changes color, add salt, soy sauce, pepper, and nutmeg and sauté some more..
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, drain, season with salt and pepper, and mash..
- Once they are pretty well mashed, add milk and mix thoroughly (Adjust the firmness to your liking with milk). Taste, and add more salt if needed..
- Put half of the mashed potatoes into a casserole dish, and spread it out evenly..
- Add all of the ground meat from step 3, and top with cheese..
- Divide the remaining mashed potatoes into 3 equal portions and scatter on top..
- Press it out evenly with plastic wrap..
- Coat it with whisked egg; use a fork to make a pattern, and cook at 480°F/250°C for 15 minutes, and then at 570°F/300°C for another 5-6 minutes..
- You are done once it turns golden brown!.
- *If you are having trouble getting it to turn golden brown, I have a little trick… Mix 1 teaspoon of Mirin in with the whisked eggs and coat, and it will turn golden brown easily..
- **If you don't have Mirin, then bake at 570°F/300°C from the start until it browns, and then reduce the heat..
So, this is how you spell it: Shepherd's Pie. But, from doing a quick google search, it came to my attention that TONS of people think it's Shepards Pie. Traditional Irish Shepherd's Pie would actually call for ground lamb. The difference between Shepherd's Pie and Cottage Pie is the meat. Make mashed potatoes: In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and add a generous pinch of salt.
So that is going to wrap this up with this special food baked shepherd's pie recipe. Thank you very much for your time. I’m sure you can make this at home. There is gonna be more interesting food at home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to bookmark this page in your browser, and share it to your loved ones, friends and colleague. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!