Recipe of Any-night-of-the-week French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup. Tyler Florence's French Onion Soup recipe, topped with nutty Gruyere croutons and stuffed with caramelized onions, is the ultimate in cozy French bistro fare. Most French onion soup recipes call for beef stock, but substituting mushroom broth instead creates a surprisingly rich soup, full on flavor – without the meat. Could become a staple recipe in vegetarian or meat-loving households!
French onion soup gets its rich flavor and color from the cooking of the onions. While they simmer, the flavors become intense, making this soup a savory delight. French onion soup is a perfect comfort-food dinner, served with a side of bread for dipping and topped with a decadent layer of cheese.
Hello everybody, hope you are having an amazing day today. Today, I’m gonna show you how to prepare a special dish, french onion soup. It is one of my favorites. This time, I will make it a little bit unique. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
French Onion Soup is one of the most favored of current trending meals on earth. It is simple, it’s quick, it tastes delicious. It’s enjoyed by millions daily. They are nice and they look fantastic. French Onion Soup is something which I have loved my whole life.
Tyler Florence's French Onion Soup recipe, topped with nutty Gruyere croutons and stuffed with caramelized onions, is the ultimate in cozy French bistro fare. Most French onion soup recipes call for beef stock, but substituting mushroom broth instead creates a surprisingly rich soup, full on flavor – without the meat. Could become a staple recipe in vegetarian or meat-loving households!
To get started with this recipe, we must first prepare a few ingredients. You can have french onion soup using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you can achieve that.
The ingredients needed to make French Onion Soup:
- Take 8 of x Large white onions (Spanish).
- Get 4 of x cloves garlic.
- Make ready 4 sprigs of thyme.
- Prepare 1 of x tablespoon Olive oil.
- Make ready 50 g of x Butter.
- Get 50 ml of x Brandy.
- Prepare 200 ml of x white wine.
- Take 1.5 L of x chicken stock.
- Prepare 1/2 of x baguette.
- Prepare 200 g of x grated gruyere cheese.
- Take of salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into oven safe serving bowls and place one slice of bread on top of each (bread may be broken into pieces if you prefer). French onion soup feeds the soul on a cold day, and now you can enjoy it at the best restaurant on the block: your place. Our classic recipe turns a lazy Sunday into a long-simmering affair. Set yourself up for maximum coziness and serve it bubbling hot.
Steps to make French Onion Soup:
- Peel and finely slice the onions, remove the core and cut with the grain. Chop the garlic at this stage as well. Then pick the thyme leaves.
- Heat a large sauce pan, add olive oil, butter, seasoning and the onions, start on a high heat to get the browning process started. When the onions start to colour reduce the heat as you need to cook them long and slow to really caramelise them..
- When onions are a nice deep brown colour you add the brandy and flame if you like. Add the wine and then the chicken stock and allow to simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. If the level reduces too far you can top up with water..
- Slice baguette or bread roll to around 1 inch thickness, make sure the crouton will fit in the soup bowl, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 180c until nice and toasted..
- Taste soup and adjust the seasoning to your likening, ladle into your oven proof soup bowls, top with crouton and then cover with the grated gruyere cheese..
- Bake in the oven at 180c until the cheese is bubbling, then enjoy possibly the best soup ever? This images are taken from my youtube channel uncle matt's cookery lessons, feel free to pay me a visit there, here is a link to this videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec5_8hmCIy0&t=28s.
Season the soup with pepper and Cognac, if using. Place the toast rounds, toasted side down, on top of the soup and top with the cheese. Melt butter in a heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Remove lid and let onions caramelize until golden brown over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Adjust heat if onions are browning too quickly.
So that is going to wrap it up for this exceptional food french onion soup recipe. Thanks so much for reading. I’m sure you can make this at home. There is gonna be interesting food at home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to save this page on your browser, and share it to your family, friends and colleague. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!